Double denim is the controversial trend I’m actually loving. Here’s the best pieces & 15 ways to style denim on denim outfits
Denim on denim AKA double denim is a massive fashion trend for 2023 but the stylists are torn. Is it ok or is it a faux pas? How do you style denim on denim outfits besides as a Canadian Tux or basic denim jacket outfit. I’ve rocked this look a few times in the past and am looking forward to trying the updated versions of it this year. I’ve been scrolling through runway looks, fashion editor picks and the street style stars outfits to come up with the most on trend and best ways to style denim this year and some of the cutest pieces to create them with.
This post contains affiliate links.
Is it ok to wear denim on denim? Fashion trend or fashion faux pas
There’s some controversy on whether it’s ok to wear double denim or not. I feel like it’s more about how you’re styling your head to toe jean outfit and where you’re planning on wearing it to than anything else. Black tie dinner, probably not, cute lunch date, I say Yes!
There are some fashion equations that just make sense. Pairing denim with more denim is an easy way to take the utilitarian classic into trend territory, or even create an elevated look to wear to work.
A mode of dress in which a denim top (jacket, shirt, etc.) and a denim bottom are worn at the same time, often regarded as a fashion faux pas
How to not wear double denim
There’s also the debate on whether the outfit should be monochromatic and the washes match or if they should contrast e.g black and blue. Some people say the same washes make it look too matchy matchy but personally I love a monochromatic look.
Fashion rules are made to be broken and that’s how new looks and trends evolve. So forget the rules with this trend and wear what makes you feel good. Wearing anything with confidence looks better than something that supposedly follows the rules.
How to style denim on denim outfits
These fashion forward ways to wear double denim or head to toe denim are the most stylish ways to wear this trend this season that go beyond the Texan Tux.
- Head to toe denim including coordinating accessories.
- Straight jeans under long belted denim jacket outfits.
- Denim bustiers or corsets with jeans.
- Oversized jackets with fitted jeans.
- Tucked in button down shirts with wide leg jeans.
- Monochrome matching washes for coordinated chic.
- Denim duster, crop top & jeans.
- Unbuttoned denim shirt, white tank and jeans.
- Take style inspo from Gigi Hadid with a denim jacket, matching jeans, graphic tee and heels.
- Jean top and belted jeans a la Nawal El Zoghby.
- Summer style inspo: Denim shirt, jeans and slides.
- Denim maxi skirt with cropped denim jacket.
- Keep it simple in a denim romper or jumpsuit.
- Copy Bella Hadid’s denim or denim on denim outfit: jean corset, jacket and jeans.
- For the brave, denim bralette, bag & midi skirt as seen at Givenchy.
How to ease into the double denim outfit trend
If head to toe denim’s too much for you, you can always try these tips to break up or ease into the trend:
- Add a contrasting color bag and shoes rather than being completely head to toe.
- Leave your denim shirt or jacket open and wear a different color tank, bralette or sports bra to break up the look.
- Add statement jewelry like gold chain bracelets and necklaces to elevate your look.
- For this particular trend and to avoid being too Canadian or Texan Tux, avoid fringe jackets or cowboy boots. Again, rules are made to be broken so take this advice with a pinch of salt and you do you.
- I’d also avoid plaid shirts under jean and denim jacket outfits to keep it more fashion and less country.
My top picks for the pieces to create your double denim outfits with
The most stylish denim shirts, bustiers, jackets, pants, dresses and rompers to create either contrasting or monochromatic denim on denim outfits this year. I have a couple on order so will update this post with more photos once they arrive.
Complete your head to toe denim outfit
The denim shoes, boots and bags trending now to complete your head to toe denim outfit. Don’t leave your denim knee high boots in the back of your closet for Spring, keep them on repeat with denim dresses and jean shorts.
For fashion and outfit ideas, sale alerts and BTS stories.
More ways to try the denim trend this year
From shorts to jackets and celeb style, here’s some of the looks I’m loving right now.