Level up in these trending denim dresses we can’t get enough of
Denim dresses for women are always a classic style but this year they’re very much in style as denim is trending in a big way. Whether that’s a double denim outfit, denim mini, maxi or shirt dress. Styles just keep getting cuter and cuter and combine a lot of the other major trends like denim bustier dresses, strapless styles and puff sleeves. When you used to think of denim dresses, you’d think casual. Not any more. Some of the best styles this year are super sexy, feminine and perfect for a night out. If you’re worried they’ll look too Western, it all comes down to how you style your denim dresses to make them fashion not prairy.
This post contains affiliate links.
What denim dresses are in style for 2023
With the double denim trend being huge for 2023, denim dresses for women are a major trend to jump on right now and one of the easiest runway trends to wear in real life. Think lighter washes, white and pink for Spring/Summer. Then solid wash dark denim, fitted dresses for Fall/Winter. As seen at both Fendi and on the long puff sleeves at Caroline Herrera Fall/Winter 2022/2023 runway shows.
Best designer denim dresses
Designers have been pulling out all the stops with their denim dress designs this year. From super structured corset styles to the prettiest bow and feather details at Oscar De La Renta and Area.
With details like gold buttons giving a luxe touch, belts and corset styles giving a flattering silhouette and puff sleeves giving a feminine aesthetic. These are some of the designers doing it best in 2023:
- David Koma for more elaborate styles.
- Area for feminine, glam styles.
- Dolce & Gabbana for a flattering fit.
- Retrofete for girly denim mini dresses.
- Oscar De La Renta
- Balmain for luxe gold button styles.
- Saint Laurent for beautifully structured styles.
- Diesel for classic looks.
Best affordable denim dresses
There are so many cute and stylish iterations around this year for all budgets. Starting at under $40 from Lulus. Some brands do it better quality and fashion-wise like:
- Rails for classic style.
- Superdown for fashion forward styles.
- We Wore What.
- Miss Selfridge for affordable fashion.
- Amazon for the best casual denim shirt dresses.
Best Denim Dresses 2023 From Designer to Luxe For Less
I scouted out the best denim dresses for women to wear from casual to glam, designer to luxe for less. Here’s the best of them.
Dundas X Revolve Denim Mini Dress
I have this on my wishlist for Summer. I love the fact that it combines 3 2023 trends in 1: corsets, denim and cut-outs. Denim dresses are perfect for packing to take on vacation as they crease so much less than other materials.
Strapless Short Denim Dress
A strapless style means no strappy tan lines for the day and is a style that’s easy to dress up for the night. Just add heels and gold accessories. There are lots of sleeveless dresses around this year but what caught my eye was the cute sweetheart neckline and flattering belted style.
Women’s White Denim Mini Dress
This is one of the best for budget white denim mini dresses. It’s under $100 and looks just as good with slides and sneakers as it does with strappy high heels.
On Trend Mini Dress
Another fashion forward style that’s perfect for a night out with it’s crystal buttons and sexy cut outs. It’s also on sale!
The Statement Maker
If you’re looking for a statement making, designer dress David Koma and Area NYC have some fabulous styles. The cute and corset style of this one make it so flattering. While the long ribbons make it an unforgettable style that is so high fashion.
For a look that’s more retro and casual, Diesel is where it’s at. This brand is back in the spotlight for both it’s denim and bags this year. It keeps selling out so get it while you can or sign up for a back in stock notification.
Brand to know
Retrofete is arguably one of the best brands for womens denim dresses. They’re known for their cute, feminine styles, flattering cuts and quality fabric. Like this puff sleeve mini dress. It comes in lots of different washes including solid washes if you’re not a fan of more distressed styles or acid washes.
How to style denim dresses | 15 outfit ideas
If you’re stuck for denim dress outfit ideas, I have 15 ways to wear them for all seasons from casual to smarter looks. Don’t just save denim dresses for everyday casual, they work for both day and night depending on the style you go for. To get the most wear out of them, try these different outfit ideas for all seasons.
- For a casual and comfortable look wear them with sneakers.
- For summer chic, add a pair of stylish slides.
- Add strappy high heels and gold accessories for a night out.
- To give denim shirt dresses more shape and to make them more flattering, style them with belts.
- If you don’t love your arms, style your denim dress over a simple white or black tee.
- Wedges work well with this style for the day and night when you want height but something more comfortable and not quite as dressy as heels.
- For Fall and Winter style mini or denim maxi dresses over turtlenecks with knee high boots.
- On even colder days, add a cardigan or leather moto jacket.
- Wear shirt dresses as jackets over leggings and a t-shirt.
- Try the double denim trend and add matching denim heels and a bag.
- In general solid, darker washes look smarter than lighter shades or acid washes.
- For a preppy, on trend look for 2023 wear them with loafers. The perfect outfit for city breaks or just running errands while looking chic.
- Bustier or corset dresses with heels and jewelry are the perfect outfit combo for a night out.
- Add bright colors like hot pink, yellow or green layering pieces, bags or shoes to make the outfit come to life.
- Wear them with tights with caution. This look can look a bit heavy and dated. So play around with different styles of tights to make sure the look is balanced.
Shop the edit
Denim dresses don’t have to be just basic and blue. As these fashion forward, black, white, pink and acid wash styles proof. It’s a fun style to experiment with to find a look that works for you with the cut, color and length.
If you’re worried a denim dress will be too hot for the Summer, look for a lightweight cotton style like this one by Love Shack Fancy.
I stuck to mainly minis and maxi’s as they tend to be a lot more flattering and youthful than Midi’s which tend to be harder to pull off in thick fabrics unless they’re super fitted.
There’s also a couple of petite denim dresses on this edit. As denim can be bulky, so rather than drowning in fabric if you’re petite check out these styles.