Mastering this tricky wardrobe essential – Women’s white shirts
Women’s white shirts are one of those wardrobe essentials that can be hard to get right. Too sheer, crease too easily, not the right cut, too bulky tucked into pants and skirts, etc. To be honest, I’ve shied away from white button down shirts for the most part because of these issues but I was determined to get it right since they’re so versatile and can look really elegant when done right. After hours of searching, these are the 25 best womens white shirts I could find from everywhere online. As well as how to wear a white shirt 15 ways, with white shirt outfits for all occasions and seasons whatever your personal style.
This best womens white shirts post contains affiliate links.
A good white button-down shirt is something that can be worn again and again and dressed up or down, not just saved for office wear. Whether you have a capsule wardrobe or extensive closet, it’s one of those tops you can style so many ways to get so many different looks from.
15 ways to style a white shirt for women
A classic womens white button down shirt is so versatile and a great closet essential for all seasons and occasions. Whether it’s work wear, date night or a casual look that you’re going for. I actually borrowed my husbands shirt for some of the oversized white shirt looks. Then styled an ASOS women’s shirt for the other white shirt outfit ideas.
- Classic womens white button down shirt, tucked in with black jeans and pumps.
- The half tuck-rather than the classic French tuck. This look is asymmetrical with 1 side tucked in and the other left untucked.
- Classic French tuck; in at the front, out at the back. This works well with a curve hem shirt.
- Layer a sweater or sweater vest over your button down for colder months.
- For a sexy date night look, do up only button a few buttons and leave it off of 1 shoulder. Style with a sexy cami, bodysuit or bra underneath.
- This styles a little trickier to get right and you definitely need long sleeves. You button up as many buttons as you need so it sits like a strapless shirt dress. Then wrap the sleeves around your body to tie it into place. It’s easier to follow me in the video than to explain in words.
- Wear leather on leather or a leather jacket and jeans to give an edgier look to your white shirt.
- Tie a twilly/skinny scarf or velvet ribbon in a bow around your neckline for an instantly elevated look that’s perfect for workwear.
- Wear it unbuttoned over a crop top, sports bra or bralette with pants or bike shorts for a more casual white shirt outfit.
- Leave it unbuttoned but knot it in the front over a crop top and bike shorts with sneakers for an off-duty, weekend look.
- Use it as a swim cover-up. I highly recommend rolling not folding your shirts when packing if you’re not using a garment bag.
- For a dressier white shirt outfit style it with a mini, midi or maxi skirt and heels
- Under a corset or bustier for a fashion forward, trendy white shirt outfit. The best women’s white shirt to try this look with is a more fitted style or bodysuit.
- Try a longer length top belted over leggings for a casual, flattering outfit.
- For a winter white button down shirt outfit, layer it over a roll neck sweater.
Shopping for the perfect white shirt | The 25 best womens white shirts to add to your closet
These are best women’s white shirts whether you’re looking for an oversized fit or fitted style, short or long sleeves that I found after hours of searching the highest rated styles from all over the web. I’ve included both sheer and button downs that aren’t see-through. If they are a little sheer, you can always layer a tank or white tee under them or rock the sheer look since it’s on trend right now.
What shirt material creases less
Some of the best womens white shirts are the lower maintenance options, including non-iron styles. Rather than linen or poplin that are a nightmare to deal with. This is one instance where if you hate ironing as much as I do, synthetic materials like silk, polyester and viscose trump natural materials.
Some of the key features to look for are darts at the back that nip in the waist for a tailored look, shorter lengths work best if you’re going to be tucking them in, super-stretch cotton a flattering fit that creases less.
I also really like thong bodysuits that looks like a white shirt for when I want a sleeker silhouette and less bulk to tuck in e.g. with skinny jeans. I know they’re less versatile for ways to style them but they’re a great option to have if you’re not a fan of loose silhouettes or tend to wear more fitted pants, skirts or jeans.
Shop the 25 best women’s white shirts
I’ve added everything from classic white button downs to cropped versions, sheer styles and even the cutest vegan leather button down with puff sleeves and pearl buttons if you’re looking for something a little different. From designer to luxe for less, here’s the list of best women’s white shirts.
Your daily outfit inspo
How to style
More outfit ideas and style inspiration.